A practical and intensive exploration of the convergence between two wisdom streams
Because of the overwhelming demand and large wait list for the October wisdom school, Cynthia and Deborah have agreed to host the same Wisdom School in December. The December 2019 Wisdom School at Claymont is a special 5-day intensive immersion and exploration of the convergence between the teachings of Gurdjieff and Teilhard led by Cynthia Bourgeault with daily movements by Deborah Rose Longo. held December 1 – 6, 2019 at Claymont Society for Continuous Education, 667 Huyett Rd., Charles Town, WV 25414.
Those of you who have been working with Cynthia know how much the Fourth Way Gurdjieff wisdom tradition and the Teilhardian wisdom stream have influenced her thinking. She is writing a new book on the points of commonality and tension between these two wisdom streams. She will be exploring some of her work during this time: Teilhard and Gurdjieff in conversation.
Date: December 1 – 6, 2019
Time: Sunday dinner – Monday lunch
Location: Claymont Society for Continuous Education, 667 Huyett Road, Charles Town, West Virginia 25414.
Those of you who have been working with Cynthia know how much the Fourth Way Gurdjieff Wisdom tradition and the Teilhardian Wisdom stream have influenced her thinking. She is writing a new book on the points of commonality and tension between these two Wisdom streams. She will be exploring some of her work during this time: Teilhard and Gurdjieff in conversation.
Points of Commonality
- The Scale of Things (both men envision a cosmos at its actual size, depth, and vast interplanetary scale, not the “flat earth” or “spiritualized realms” of classical metaphysics.
- Materiality and Embodiment: Moving beyond the Matter/Spirit divide
- Cosmology: A comparative Look at the Two Cosmological Maps
- Reciprocal Feeding: The whole system is a seamless whole, ecologically interdependence
- Dynamism: Gurdjieff’s Law of Three and Law of Sevem Teilhard’s Omega Point and movement toward a future
- The Collective: Anticipation of a Second Axial Spirituality based on Teilhard’s “Complexification/Consciousness” and Gurdjieff’s Obligolnian Strivings.
Points of Tension
- Consciousness: Are human beings Conscious or Unconscious?
- Human Nature: Teilhardian Optimism and Gurdjieffian Pessimism
- Devotion: active power of transformation, or merely self-delusion
Making a New World
The daily schedule will include morning exercise and/or silent meditation (alternating), morning and afternoon teaching sessions by Cynthia, late afternoon movements led by Deborah Rose Longo; practical work (mostly around getting lunch together, some gardening and work on the land), and evening discussion, reflection, observations, concluding with short silent meditation.
The total cost of the school is $695, and includes lodging and meals for five days at the Claymont Society in Charles Town, West Virginia. If you arrange your own local lodging, total cost of the school is $595. Registration for the school is by application only. Please fill out the Wisdom School application form. Payment in full is due upon acceptance if possible. A minimum nonrefundable deposit of $100 is required to confirm your acceptance and hold your place in the school. The rest of the cost is fully refundable up to two weeks before the beginning of the school.
For more information e-mail Bob Sabath or phone him at 202-531-7572. Make out checks to Friends of Silence and send to Friends of Silence, c/o Wisdom School 2019, 120 Jubilee Lane, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425.
We want to make this event available to all those interested regardless of their financial means. Scholarships and payment plans are available. Contact Friends of Silence or Bob Sabath for more details.
PLEASE NOTE: Enrollment for the October Wisdom School is completely full and we will be unable to take anyone on that waiting list. If you were accepted into the October Wisdom School at Claymont with Cynthia and are on the wait list, you do not need to fill out this online application again. Just make an online payment using the link below to confirm your place in the December 2019 Wisdom School at Claymont.