Mr. Gurdjieff, meet Mr. Teilhard! with Cynthia Bourgeault
A practical and intensive exploration of the convergence between two wisdom streams. The 2019 Wisdom School at Claymont is a special 5-day intensive immersion and exploration of the convergence between teachings of Gurdjieff and Teilhard led by Cynthia Bourgeault with daily movements by Deborah Rose Longo.
Date: October 28 – November 2, 2019
Time: Monday dinner – Saturday lunch
Location: Claymont Society for Continuous Education, 667 Huyett Road, Charles Town, West Virginia 25414.
Those of you who have been working with Cynthia know how much the Fourth Way Gurdjieff Wisdom tradition and the Teilhardian Wisdom stream have influenced her thinking. She is writing a new book on the points of commonality and tension between these two Wisdom streams. She will be exploring some of her work during this time: Teilhard and Gurdjieff in conversation.
Points of Commonality
- The Scale of Things (both men envision a cosmos at its actual size, depth, and vast interplanetary scale, not the “flat earth” or “spiritualized realms” of classical metaphysics.
- Materiality and Embodiment: Moving beyond the Matter/Spirit divide
- Cosmology: A comparative Look at the Two Cosmological Maps
- Reciprocal Feeding: The whole system is a seamless whole, ecologically interdependence
- Dynamism: Gurdjieff’s Law of Three and Law of Sevem Teilhard’s Omega Point and movement toward a future
- The Collective: Anticipation of a Second Axial Spirituality based on Teilhard’s “Complexification/Consciousness” and Gurdjieff’s Obligolnian Strivings.
Points of Tension
- Consciousness: Are human beings Conscious or Unconscious?
- Human Nature: Teilhardian Optimism and Gurdjieffian Pessimism
- Devotion: active power of transformation, or merely self-delusion
Making a New World
- Ternary Metaphysics
The daily schedule will include morning exercise and/or silent meditation (alternating), morning and afternoon teaching sessions by Cynthia, late afternoon movements led by Deborah Rose Longo; practical work (mostly around getting lunch together, some gardening and work on the land), and evening discussion, reflection, observations, concluding with short silent meditation.
The cost of the school is $695, and includes lodging and meals for five days at the Claymont Society in Charles Town, West Virginia. Registration for the school is by application only. Please fill out the Wisdom School application form. Upon notification that you are accepted into the school, a deposit of $100 is required to hold your place in the school. The rest of the payment is due 30 days before the school begins. Your deposit and program fees are fully refundable up to two weeks before the event. Scholarships are available for those who need assistance.
For more information e-mail Bob Sabath at Friends of Silence or phone him at 202-531-7572. Make out checks to Friends of Silence and send to Friends of Silence, c/o Wisdom School 2019, 120 Jubilee Lane, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425.
We want to make this event available to all those interested regardless of their financial means. Scholarships and payment plans are available. Contact Friends of Silence or Bob Sabath for more details.